- 2 pound(s) lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can(s) (6-ounce) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) dry hot mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) low-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/4 cup(s) Worcestershire sauce
- 8 sweet potato biscuits, see recipe
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove meat and set aside, then drain all but 1 tablespoon fat. Add onion and garlic to skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, 2 more minutes. Stir in chili powder, mustard, paprika, salt, and ginger and cook 1 more minute.
- Add broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and reserved meat. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer 25 minutes. Serve with Sweet-Potato Biscuits or over rice.
Tips & Techniques
To make this dish vegetarian, replace the meat with two 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained, then add right before the mixture is brought to a boil.